Recipe by Alex Tisdale
This was modified (slightly) from How it all Vegan! Whole wheat flour makes it slightly less moist that usual, so if you don't care about the fiber, you might want to just use all-purpose. If you like apricots, this is really yummy.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
This is a very good bread but becaue we are not vegan I substituted buttermilk for orange juice.. Also, if I want it to stay fresh longer I use all white flour but wholewheat gives it a nice nutty taste and better for you of course. Highly recommend - very taste sliced thin with a cup of coffee.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 cup dried apricot (soaked in water or juice)
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup or 2⁄3 cup honey or 2⁄3 cup other artificial sweetener
- 4 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ginger.
- Stir in apricots, applesauce, maple syrup, juice, vanilla, vinegar, and nuts.
- Mix together until"just mixed".
- Spoon batter into oiled loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes.