Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This nutty whole grain bread is even more delicious a day after baking it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 (6 ounce) carton plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup black walnuts or 1 cup hickory nuts
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1 inch up the side of a 1-1/2-quart casserole; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, yogurt, brown sugar, and oil.
- Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture.
- Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Fold in nuts and raisins and spoon batter into the prepared casserole. Sprinkle with wheat germ.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Cool in casserole on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from casserole.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- If desired, wrap and store overnight before slicing (bread will be slightly moister the second day).
- Makes 12 servings.
YUM, YUM, YUM!!!! This bread is terrific! It has a wonderful light and fluffy texture and a very yummy cinnamon apple raisin taste. All the ingredients go so well together and make for a real winner! The recipe is also very easy and quick to put together. I made half the recipe and decided to bake it in muffin molds, so that I ended up with ten nicely sized muffins. I made two changes: Instead of nuts I used sunflower seeds and reduced the sugar to 2 tbs. That way the bread had a nice and fruity sweetness. Thanks so so much for sharing this lovely recipe with us, Annacia! I cant wait to make it again! :) Made and reviewed for Went to the Market Tag Game June 09.