S Smith's Note:
Made with whole-wheat graham cracker crumbs and whole-wheat flour, this is a delicious and nutritious alternative to your regular piecrust. It was featured in Superfoods Rx by Dr. Steven Pratt and Kathy Matthews.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole-wheat graham cracker crumbs (from 8 graham cracker squares)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (ground)
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (ground) or 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (ground)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (finely grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten (with high omega-3 content, as noted on label)
- 1PREHEAT oven to 350°F Lightly grease 9-inch pie plate.
- 2COMBINE graham cracker crumbs, flour, oil, brown sugar, flaxseed, wheat germ, zest and ginger in medium bowl. Add egg; stir until moistened. Gently press mixture onto bottom of plate and up the sides.
- 3BAKE for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole-Grain Pie Crust
Serving Size: 1 (48 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.0
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 100.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 4.5 g