2 hrs 15 mins
East Wind Goddess's Note:
Another winner from NOLA.com! If your fresh thyme made it through the freeze, here’s a perfect recipe to showcase this quintessential Louisiana flavor. The recipe is from Southern Living’s “Glorious Grits” by Susan McEwen McIntosh (Oxmoor House, $22.95). I listed the recipe as published, but I did add a 1 T additional Herbes de Provence in the cornmeal dumplings: I think it improved the taste; otherwise, this was a very good recipe, well-thymed for the SuperBowl :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb round steak, trimmed, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 lb new potato, quartered
- 5 carrots, peeled, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, cut in wedges
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, cut in halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- cornmeal-thyme dumplings (recipe follows)
- for the cornmeal-thyme dumplings
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (stone-ground white or yellow)
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1For the Cornmeal-Thyme Dumplings:.
- 2Combine cornmeal, bread flour, baking powder, salt and thyme in a bowl until well blended. Add butter and milk, stirring to blend. Cook as directed in main recipe.
- 3For the Main Recipe:.
- 4Heat oil in a Dutch oven or deep skillet over high heat.
- 5Add beef and garlic. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes until beef is browned.
- 6Add broth, wine, tomato paste and thyme; bring to a boil.
- 7Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 11/2 hours or until steak is tender.
- 8Add potatoes and next five ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender.
- 9Scoop dough for dumplings by rounded tablespoons on top of stew; cook over low heat, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- 10Cover and cook 18 to 20 minutes, until dumplings are done. (Avoid boiling mixture to prevent dumplings from falling apart.).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Who-Dat Stew (Burgundy Beef) With Cornmeal-Thyme Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.1
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 61.2 mg
- Sodium 755.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 23.5 g