Recipe by velorutionista
Got a bird you need to use up? This is the perfect recipe to get rid of those pesky leftovers, and it's a simple soup to whip up when you find yourself in the mood for a tasty soup. It may look like a lot of ingredients, but don't worry, it goes together quickly and tastes great in the end!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (preferably red)
- 1 jalapeno, minced (remove seeds and membrane for less heat)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb chopped cooked turkey (about 3 cups)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups skim milk (or plain soymilk)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in medium soup pot over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add turkey, 3/4 of the beans, chicken stock, corn, cumin, chile powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Mash remaining beans and combine with milk. Add to soup pot and simmer, uncovered, an additional 20 minutes or till mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. Do not boil once you add the milk, just keep it at a simmer.
- When ready to serve, stir in cilantro and serve immediately.