Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "Caribbean Cooking" by John DeMers.
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled seeded diced
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook about 1 minute, then stir in rice.
- Add water and salt, bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until water is absorbed.
- When rice is cooked, melt remaining butter in a separate saucepan.
- Add tomatoes; cook 15 to 20 seconds.
- Stir into rice.