Recipe by NannyMarvel
This recipe is from Sunset Magazine and is from John Moeller, a former White House chef. I love risotto but this one is - hands down - my favorite.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth, heated to simmer
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced (I have also used home canned tomatoes but fresh are better)
- 6 medium basil leaves
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-qt saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp butter. Add onions and cook until soft - about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat for 1 minute. Stirring constantly, add 1/2 cup of simmering chicken broth. As rice absorbs the liquid, continue to add broth, 1/4 cup at a time, until you've added 3 cups, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook rice for an additional 20 to 30 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. If rice starts to dry out, stir in more broth.
- When rice is done, remove pan from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining butter and cheese. Fold in all but 3 tablespoons tomatoes. Season with sat and pepper to taste. Divide risotto evenly among 6 bowls. Garnish each bowl with remaining tomatoes and basil.