1/1 Photo of White House Broccoli Soup
This is made at the White House by Chef Cristeta Comerford. I haven't made this yet, but have been looking for a broccoli soup that's yummy but healthy too. I have added the option of adding just a little cream if you like. Enjoy! The soup is a little thin, so I removed one of the cups of stock. Add it if you like it on the thin side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 1 leek, white part only, sliced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 heads broccoli, stems sliced, and green tips reserved for puree
- 6 -7 cups vegetable stock (the original recipe calls for chicken stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cream (optional)
- 1In a medium-size saucepan, over medium heat, add the garlic, shallots, leeks, onion and thyme. Sweat in the butter until fragrant.
- 2Add the broccoli stem slices and saute until softened.
- 3Pour in the chicken stock and bay leaf and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 4In the meantime, blanch the broccoli tips in a pot of boiling water over medium heat until bright green. Remove the tips from the water and "shock" in a bowl of iced water.
- 5Drain the green tips and puree in a blender. Set aside.
- 6Puree the soup in a blender and strain through a fine chinoise into a large serving bowl. At this point, if you really want to, you could add about 1/4 cup cream.
- 7Add the green tip puree and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 8Serve piping hot.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White House Broccoli Soup
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.6
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 89.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: