Recipe by bayou-mimi
A very pretty, light, moist tea cake. IF you use the tube or bundt pan, you can use the center as a flower vase by picking fall flowers, wrapping them in a wet towel and place in the center of the cake. I think this recipe originally came from an old Inn cookbook.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sweet butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together flour, sugar and butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add 1/2 of the tsp of the cinnamon, blend.
- Set aside 1 cup of mixture.
- To the rest of the mix add, ginger, mace, salt, soda and baking powder and remaining cinnamon; stir.
- Add egg and buttermilk, beating till smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mix evenly over top.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool and serve.