Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My children like this recipe, because I don't make it with the green chilies or hot peppers. This recipe is for those of us who don't like things so spicy. I hope you like it.
- 6 large chicken legs or 1 whole chicken
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk (hot)
- salt and pepper
- nutmeg (feshly grated is best)
- 12 -14 flour tortillas (7 inch, depending how much you fill them)
- 3 cups of old cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
- cooking spray
- Place chicken legs and vegetables in large pot, cover with water and cook for aprox. 1 hour.
- Remove chicken and take off the skin and shred the chicken.
- Refrigerate the stock, skim off the fat and freeze it for another use.
- Over medium heat, melt butter, add flour, cook for 1 minute.
- Add hot milk and cook until slightly thickened. (not too thick).
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Take 1 cup of the sauce and mix it in with the chicken.
- Place as much of the chicken mixture you like on each tortilia and wrap them up placing them seam side down in a sprayed baking dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 25-30 minute.
My family really liked this dish..I only used 3 cups of milk or else it would have been way too runny..but that may have been because I used a 'lite' butter and trim milk..it was still deliciously saucy and got rave reviews from all. Thanks for sharing.
What a delicious dish!!! It was easy to put together and you get the bonus of home-made stock!! This is a definite keeper!!