Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I made this tonight, loosely based on a different recipe. Of course, I substituted, changed, and added different things, and the results were wonderful. My husband has just eaten 2 large bowls of it. Even my four year old likes it.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 shredded monterey jack cheese, per serving
- In large Dutch oven saute, onion in oil until carmalized.
- Add garlic and chicken, cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add beans, water, bullion, chilies and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer (uncovered) for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream. Top with shredded cheese.
I made this for our dinner on 2/3/13 ( Super Bowl Sunday ), and I'm sorry it wasn't rated until now. Except for cutting the water down to 3 cups,the sour cream down to1 cup, and only using 1 can of green chilis, the recipe was made as it was written. Thia was the first time I've ever made White Chili, and both my SO and I thought it was pretty good. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
We initially made this without the cayenne because one of us can't handle the heat, but the rest of us added it on a per-serving basis and declared it essential to the whole flavor. I'd suggest less water, and most people will reach for the salt shaker, but those are trivial things and everybody here had two bowls. Made for PAC.