Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From The Sophisticate's Guide
Make and share this White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese (Panera Copycat) recipe from Food.com.
- Boil 2 oz of pasta shells. Slightly undercook the pasta. Set aside.
- Microwave 4 tbs of butter with 8 tbs of flour for two minutes, stirring with a whisk after each minute.
- Then slowly add 2 cups of milk, stirring with the whisk constantly.
- Microwave the entire mixture for several minutes, stirring after each minute, until sauce thickens and takes on a matte finish. How many minutes will depend on the power of your microwave. (Mine took about 6 minutes).
- Add grated Vermont white cheddar to sauce. The sauce should be hot enough that the cheese will melt as you stir. If not, you may add the cheese then microwave a little more.
- For an extra creamy sauce, pour a small amount of the pre-cheese sauce into a separate bowl, add one egg and beat vigorously, then return the reserved sauce to the original sauce.
- Add cheese to taste. I used an entire 8oz block.
- Add a dash of grated American cheese (optional).
- Combine pasta and sauce, then pour into a well-greased baking pan. The pasta will absorb some of the liquid, so don't worry if the mixture seems more liquid-y than the way you would normally serve pasta. I used a 9 by 9 inches pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees covered for about 25 minutes or until bubbling and starting to become golden.