Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
- Ready In:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 slices white bread, crust removed
- 5 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated gruyere
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Butter a 3 quart casserole dish, set aside.
- Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter and pour over bread in bowl. Toss and set aside.
- Warm the milk in saucepan over medium heat. Melt the remaining 6 Tbsp butter in high sided skillet over medium heat. When the butter bubbles, add the flour. Cook stirring one minute.
- While whisking, slowly pour in the hot milk mixture until bubbles and thick 8-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat add all seasonings and 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- Cook macaroni until slightly underdone. Drain and stir into cheese mixture pour into buttered casserole.
- Top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. Cook 30 minute.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Fantastic mac and cheese!!! This would have been a 5 star recipe if the instructions had been clear, I made my own guesses and they worked out well, but not sure it was the way the recipe should have been completed. I didn't have a milk mixture and I don't know how you toss the bread slices with the melted butter. I also know that the site had a problem back a year or so ago, and did change some ingredients/instructions, so this might be the case with this recipe. But here goes how I made your recipe: I made 1/3 of the recipe, followed to the amounts/ingredients on the list except for omitting the nutmeg (not a fan of this in pasta). I decided to add the bread slices to my mini food processor(made some fresh bread crumbs) and then drizzled the melted butter on top and tossed it all. I melted the remaining butter in my sauce pan, then added the flour and let it cook for a couple of mins, then added cold milk and let it thicken up, added the two type of cheeses and then added the cooked pasta to the whole mix. I then poured this into my dish, topped it with the bread crumbs and baked it for 30 minutes, sooo good!!! I am hoping I didn't mess up, too much, in how I made this recipe. Thanks for sharing a great recipe. Made for "Name that Ingredient" Tag game.1Reply