Recipe by charlened
This is from the Dec 2004 Vegetarian Times magazine.For a heartier dish, add browned and sliced soy "sausage" links before serving.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 small shallots, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons toasted breadcrumbs (to garnish)
- minced parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour oil into slow cooker and turn it on high. add shallots and garlic, cover and cook to soften 15-20 minute.
- Add carrots, turnip, parsnip, beans and tomato.
- Stir in stock, bay leaves, thyme, s&p.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until all vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
- remove and discard bay leaves before serving, garnish with breadcrumbs and parsley.