Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious salad rich in protein and minerals from Feasts by Silvena Rowe
Make and share this White Bean and Barley Salad With Beetroot and Yoghurt Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (4000 g) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 200 g barley, cooked
- 50 g sultanas
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 50 g walnuts, shelled and roughly chopped
- 200 g salad leaves
Beetroot and Yoghurt Dressing
- 3 beetroots, cleaned
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250 ml thick yoghurt
- 35 g ground walnuts
- cook beetroots in boiling water for about 20 mins until soft, cool then peel.
- place beets in food processor with the garlic and yoghurt, pulse until smooth and creamy.
- pour into bowl and stir in the gound walnuts.
- In a large bowl combine the beans, barley, sultanas, herbs walnuts and salad leaves and serve accompanied by the beetroot sauce.
I made this with trepidation! I wasn't sure the family would like it! BUT it was a big hit. The beetroot dressing alone is worth making as a dip - delicious with veggies I think the recipe should read 400g of white beans - thats what I used (haricots - cooked myself) Simple and delicious!
This is a lovely salad, perfect for my lunch today. I reduced all the proportions to make one individual serving. I also substituted seedless raisins for the sultanas, because I couldn't find sultanas at the store. The other change I made was to add some diced beetroot to the salad mix, in addition to the dressing, because I love beets. And I mixed all but the greens together, then put the mixture on top of a plate of salad greens (arugula/rocket). Delicious! Thanks, lindseylcw!