Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious salad rich in protein and minerals from Feasts by Silvena Rowe
- 1 (4000 g) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 200 g barley, cooked
- 50 g sultanas
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 50 g walnuts, shelled and roughly chopped
- 200 g salad leaves
Beetroot and Yoghurt Dressing
- 3 beetroots, cleaned
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250 ml thick yoghurt
- 35 g ground walnuts
- cook beetroots in boiling water for about 20 mins until soft, cool then peel.
- place beets in food processor with the garlic and yoghurt, pulse until smooth and creamy.
- pour into bowl and stir in the gound walnuts.
- In a large bowl combine the beans, barley, sultanas, herbs walnuts and salad leaves and serve accompanied by the beetroot sauce.
I made this with trepidation! I wasn't sure the family would like it! BUT it was a big hit. The beetroot dressing alone is worth making as a dip - delicious with veggies I think the recipe should read 400g of white beans - thats what I used (haricots - cooked myself) Simple and delicious!
This is a lovely salad, perfect for my lunch today. I reduced all the proportions to make one individual serving. I also substituted seedless raisins for the sultanas, because I couldn't find sultanas at the store. The other change I made was to add some diced beetroot to the salad mix, in addition to the dressing, because I love beets. And I mixed all but the greens together, then put the mixture on top of a plate of salad greens (arugula/rocket). Delicious! Thanks, lindseylcw!