Vegetable Barley Salad
- Ready In:
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups pearl barley
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeds removed and cut into medium dice
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts or 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large pot, bring stock to a boil.
- add barley and cook on medium heat 40 minutes.
- Drain and rinse until cool.
- In a large bowl place all the vegetables, mix in the vinaigrette along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine with the barley.
- Salad can be prepared up to this point and stored, covered in fridge for 2 days.
- Sprinkle with toasted nuts just before serving.
Join The Conversation
This is a very yummy, healthy and beautiful salad recipe! I enjoyed all the different flavours together and thought that the dill was especially nice. The barley makes for a chewy salad, that fills you up for a while. The veggies add a very refreshing touch. YUM! I subbed cooked leek for the celery as I really dont enjoy celery in salads and left out the pine nuts due to an allergy. The finished salad was enjoyed very much by me and my family. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, Lori! Made and reviewed for Everyday Is A Holiday Tag Game April 2010.
This is unique and tasty! I also did not have enough chicken broth (it really cooked down) and did have to add more. I also ended up covering the pot to retain moisture. I ended up using this as a lunch to take to work, so I added some chopped grilled chicken to add some protein for a complete meal. This was very tasty, with a great nutty texture. Thanks for posting this. Made for Everyday is a Holiday Tag Game.