Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup stoneground whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds, hulled unsalted roasted
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons egg whites
- In saucepan over low heat, combine milk & molasses. Heat to 105°F
- Remove from heat & sprinkle yeast on top; allow to stand until foamy (10 minutes).
- In large bowl, stir together 2 c wheat flour, 1 c whole-wheat flour, ½ c rolled oats, flax seed meal, and salt.
- Whisk 1 T egg white into yeast mixture & add to bowl. Mix well until sticky dough forms.
- Continue to mix, adding small amount of wheat flour until dough becomes smooth ball. Knead until smooth and elastic (10-20 minutes); add flour to reduce stickiness.
- Form dough into ball & place in lightly oiled bowl turning to coat with oil. Cover with towel & allow to rise 1 hr in warm place until doubled in size (1 hr).
- Lightly oil 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Punch dough down & let rest 10 minutes.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured bread board & sprinkle with 1/3 c sunflower seeds.
- Knead until seeds are evenly distributed. Roll dough into a 12”x7” rectangle & beginning on the short side, roll up loosely & pinch seam to seal.
- Place seam-side down in, cover with towel & allow to rise 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In small bowl, lightly beat egg white w/ 2 T water. Brush top of loaf with egg mixture & sprinkle with oats & sunflower seeds. Bake 40-45 minutes until golden & hollow sounding when tapped.