1/2 Photos of Wheat Berry Salad With Red Fruit
For this sweet and tart salad, wheat berries are blended with cranberries, apples and pecans and tossed in a raspberry vinaigrette—a winning combination. A perfect side dish to take to a potluck or simply serve it over a bed of peppery arugula for vegan lunch. Recipe from Eating Well March/April 2007. (Cooking time is resting time). If you wish to sweeten your salad up a bit but don't have Agave, feel free to sub 1 T of honey. Also of note, I have made this with a peach and 2 apricots instead of the grapes and apple (thereby making this wheat berry salad with ORANGE fruit) and it is delightful!!!! This salad is even better on day 2, so it's a great make ahead recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (the juice of 1 orange)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (dried cherries are even better in my opinion)
- 10 chopped red grapes (optional)
- 3 cups cooked wheat berries
- 1 large fuji apple, unpeeled, diced
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar (feel free to use Blueberry Pomegranate Infused Red Wine Vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (I only use a pinch)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (I use lemon pepper)
- 1Combine orange juice and cranberries in a small bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 2Combine wheat berries, apple and pecans (and grapes if using) in a large bowl; stir gently.
- 3Drain the cranberries, reserving the juice. Stir the cranberries into the wheat berry mixture.
- 4Whisk the reserved orange juice, vinegar and oil in a small bowl until combined. Add Agave/honey if using. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and stir gently to coat.
- 5Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- 6Serve cold or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wheat Berry Salad With Red Fruit
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 75.0
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 58.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: