Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Another BH&G winner. Haven't made it yet, but plan to do so next time our friends who are vegetarians come over for dinner. Prep time does not include chilling time or cooling time for wheat berry mixture.
- 1 cup wheat berries, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (chickpeas)
- 1 cup slivered fresh snow pea
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 3 tablespoons toasted walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a medium bowl combine wheat berries, 3 cups water, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; cover and refrigerate overnight. Transfer to medium saucepan; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool 1 hour.
- In large bowl, combine drained wheat berries, garbanzo beans, snow peas, apricots, cranberries and green onions.
- In bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Pour over wheat berry mixture; stir to coat. Serve at once or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
Recently discovered this recipe. Everyone who tried it requested the recipe - definitely a keeper.
Excellent. Walnut oil is so awesome. I don't know why I don't put it in everything.
Loved this. . .next time I will leave out the chickpeas (thought it was better that way), but with them it does make a nice healthy vegan lunch :) So fresh and nice. I did cut the recipe in half and my wheat berries were cooked to my liking after about 25 minutes. GREAT stuff here. THANKS~!