Top Review by Jin T
A great, unique recipe! I'm always asked for the recipe when I've brought this to potlucks. <br/>My variations include adding artichokes (what I used one time when I didn't have any okra), and making it as a rice dish (basically, just cutting back the liquid and cooking the ingredients in with the steaming rice).
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 cups okra, sliced
- 1 broiler chicken (2 1/2 lbs)
- 1⁄3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large onion, peeled & chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper, ground
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut up broiler-fryer chicken.
- If using can of okra, drain it well.
- Rub lemon juice over chicken pieces.
- Put in a large kettle with chicken broth or water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook slowly, covered, 12 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook slowly about 30 minutes, until chicken and rice are tender.
- Remove chicken pieces and debone.
- Cut meat into small pieces and return to kettle.