Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was delicious with mashed potatoes but next time I will serve it over egg noodles. The original recipe used just bell peppers but I think it is wonderful with other vegetables too. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 2005)
- 1 lb boneless rib eye steak, trimmed of excess fat and sliced cross-wise into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1⁄2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl toss beef with paprika, salt and pepper, coating beef well.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over high heat and then add garlic and caraway seeds to pan, stir for 30 seconds. Add vegetables to pan (original recipe used 3 bell peppers), toss for one minute and then add broth to pan. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender and then transfer vegetables to bowl.
- Add remaining oil (1 tablespoon) and beef to skillet and saute over med high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and vinegar.
- Return vegetables to skillet and toss with beef, cooking an additional 3-5 minutes or until beef is cooked to desired degree of doneness. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This is a wonderful easy beef recipe, I made this with minute steaks, I did add in a little brown sugar and increased the garlic and cabbage, DH and myself enjoyed this very much, thanks Ellie!...Kitten:)