Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A family friend made this lasagna for my sister's wedding as her "gift." Her parents owned an Italian deli and each pan was made with extra love and care. Our family and the 50 invited guests were in "awe" of the amazing flavors. Each ingredient complimented the next adding up to the most magnificent meal! This has now been in our family for 35 years. Red wine, a tossed salad and bread always transports me to that wonderful summer afternoon wedding at our parents home where we dined and celebrated in grand style!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) canspuree tomatoes (Progresso)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 lb lasagna noodle (cook according to directions)
- 1 lb ricotta cheese (Precious)
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, whole milk, grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, fresh
- salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven (no stainless saucepan).
- Add onions and garlic; saute until lightly browned. Add sausage and beef and cook until browned.
- Add tomato puree, salt & pepper, bay leaf, oregano and parsley; cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
- Add tomato paste and continue simmering uncovered over low heat stirring occasionally for 1 hour or until thickened.
- Layer lasagna pan with sauce, 1/3 noodles,1/3 mozzarella cheese, 1/3 parmesan cheese, salt & pepper. Combine 1 cup ricotta with egg & parsley and layer on top. Add more sauce and repeat layers ending with sauce and a dusting of parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.