Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A twist on the normal watermelon feta salad recipes out there. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 seedless watermelon, small and ripe
- 4 ounces feta cheese (or more to taste)
- 1 cup of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (the best quality you can find really makes a difference!)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Cut watermelon in half and remove watermelon from rind; the easiest way to do this is with a melon baller. Place melon balls into a large mixing bowl. Save the rind to use as the salad bowls for a pretty presentation, scraping out to the same depth all over and cutting a small slice from the bottoms of the outside rinds so that each half will sit evenly on a table.
- Crumble feta cheese over the watermelon, chiffonade the mint (roll leaves into a cigar and slice thinly across the 'cigar' to get ribbons of mint) and sprinkle over watermelon. Grind pepper to taste over all.
- To make the dressing, blend or shake the olive oil and vinegar in a jar until emulsified. Pour over watermelon and toss gently. Chill for 30 minutes, spoon carefully into reserved watermelon rind 'bowls' and serve.