Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
"Sweet, salty, tangy, and hot. This salad hits all the points of your palate," says chef Hugh Acheson, head chef of Five&Ten in Athens, Georgia. InStyle magazine claims this is the "Summer's Best Salad" in their June 09 Issue. The season's most refreshing dish combines tasty watermelon and feta spiked with chiles. This appetizing recipe goes well with grilled chicken, but you can also serve it as a sophisticated dessert.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 serrano chili, stemmed and sliced into small half-rounds
- 1 watermelon, seedless small
- 1⁄3 lb feta cheese, wedge sliced 1/8 inch thick (about 12 slices)
- 1 bunch arugula
- sliced serrano and lime (to garnish)
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, thyme, shallot, and serrano chile. Shake well.
- Season with salt to taste; chill in refrigerator.
- Remove rind from watermelon and slice flesh into 3" squares.
- To assemble salad, layer one piece of watermelon on one piece of feta. Repeat.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and garnish with arugula and sliced serrano chile.
Beautiful presentation idea for a salad! I love the sweet and salty combination of the watermelon and feta. The vinaigrette was a little too spicy for me, but delicious nonetheless.
I originally saw this recipe in a magazine and was thankful to find it here. I don't know what made me really want to try it, but I'm glad I did. I have a large family that blends some true foodies with some of the pickiest eaters I've ever known. Although not everyone was home when I made it those who were loved it. I loved it. The flavors are amazing and it's nice, cool and refreshing...just perfect on a hot summer evening. Served this alongside grilled chicken and steamed rice and drizzled some of the extra serrano chile vinaigrette on both. It was wonderful! Even when I don't make the salad I will be keeping batches of the vinaigrette on hand for other uses. Thanks for posting College Girl!
this is truly a wonderful salad, thank you for the recipe.