1 hr 10 mins
Mr. Capers's Note:
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated, this simple dinner sidesteps the issue of doing a whole roast chicken and gets a satisfying dinner on the table quick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups French bread, cut or torn into 1 inch cubes, (about 6 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breast halves, bone-in, skin-on (at least 10 oz. each)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic, (about 1 medium clove)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, minced fresh, or 1/4 tsp. dried
- 2/3 cup chicken broth, (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 4 ounces baby arugula (baby mustard is great, about 7 cups, lightly packed) or 4 ounces other strong greens (baby mustard is great, about 7 cups, lightly packed)
- 1 medium tomato, core, medium chop (seed if you wish)
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- shaved parmesan cheese (to serve)
- 1Place oven rack at lowest level and preheat oven to 450.
- 2Toss bread cubes with 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Place bread in 8 inch baking dish and set aside.
- 3Dry chicken with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- 4Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until hot. Place chicken in skillet, skin side down, and saute until skin is deep golden color, about 5 minutes.
- 5Place chicken, skin side up, on bread cubes in baking dish and bake until the thickest part of the breast is 160-165 degrees and the bread is spotty brown, about 18 to 20 minutes. Take care, don't overcook the breasts!
- 6Transfer chicken to cutting board. When chicken is cool enough, take meat off bones and cut into pieces similar in size to bread cubes. Throw away the bones.
- 7While chicken is baking, pour off fat in skillet, add the last tablespoon of oil, the garlic and thyme, and cook for a moment until the garlic is fragrant. Add broth and scrape up any brown bits from skillet. Cook until thickened slightly, stir in vinegar, cover, and take off the heat.
- 8Toss bread cubes in a bowl with most of dressing mixture in skillet - reserve 2 tablespoons - add chicken and any juices from it. Then add arugula, tomato, pine nuts and the remaining dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste - remember, the cheese will add some salty taste. Toss a final time. Garnish with Parmesan shavings and serve.
- 9(To gild the lilly a bit, you can add what Lydia Bastianich calls a final "blessing" of extra virgin olive oil. Or, put that on the table. Some will find it fine without.).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Roast Chicken Breast and Bread Salad With Arugula
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 599.2
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 962.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 28.5 g