Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made these with Dutch Process Cocoa. It was like eating a chocolate cloud. The recipe comes from the New Mayo Clinic Cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground hazelnuts or 1 tablespoon almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries or strawberries)
- confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lighlty spray six 1-cup individual souffle dishes or ramekins with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the cocoa and hot water, stirring until smooth; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, stir in the canola oil; stirring to combine.
- To the butter mixture, add the flour, ground nuts and cinnamon.
- Cook mixture for approximately 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Stir in brown sugar, honey and salt.
- Gradually add the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the cocoa mixture.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high setting, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- With rubber spatula, gently fold 1/3 of egg whites into cocoa mixture.
- Then fold in the remaining egg whites, mixing only until no white streaks remain.
- Gently scoop the mixture into prepared dishes and bake until souffle rises above the rim and is set in the center, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a fine sieve, dust the tops with confectioners sugar and garnish with fresh berries.
- Serve immediately.
These were very good, light and fluffy! I made them in larger Ramekins and they turned out great with a few extra minutes in the oven....
These are great. I made these several weeks ago and forgot to review. I noticed when I was looking for the recipe again and couldn't find it in my reviews list. This is a perfect evening snack....can't wait to get out to the kitchen to put this together....