Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
A quick and healthy salad for a perfect lunch or light dinner. At 172 Calories a serving and 6 grams of fat this recipe is perfect for those who are watching what they eat and don't want to compromise flavor. This recipe is Better Homes and Gardens editor's top ten healthy heart recipe.
- 1419.54 ml torn spinach
- 473.18 ml torn leaf lettuce
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers or 2 green sweet peppers, cut into bite-sized strips
- 340.19 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2.46 ml dried rosemary, crushed
- 2.46 ml lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 29.58 ml water
- fresh rosemary sprig (optional)
- In a large salad bowl, combine spinach, leaf lettuce, sliced red onion, and pepper strips. Cover and chill salad up to 2 hours.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized strips. Toss chicken with rosemary and lemon-pepper seasoning. In a wok or 10-inch skillet stir-fry chicken strips and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet. Add to salad mixture.
- For dressing, add vinegar and water to skillet, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Pour dressing over salad. Toss gently to mix. Transfer to individual salad plates. Garnish with fresh rosemary, if desired.
I just made this for a friend and me. We are both trying to watch our calorie intake and eat more greens, so that was good. The chicken was seasoned great, but I found the dressing quite bland. We had leftovers, so today I heated an extra tsp of olive oil with a sliver of butter in a pan and sauteed some extra onion and pepper strips. I tossed in some garlic, then added the spinach salad with chicken leftovers to warm up and slightly wilt the spinach. Garnished with a little parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. It was terrific. I would recommend trying it this way! I don't think it added many calories and was much more flavorful than the first version we tried.
Excellent salad which looks great and tastes even better. This is a good meal for guests since the salad is prepared ahead of time and the chicken can be cut up at the same time; two hours later it's easy to cook the chicken and make the dressing. In this instance I increased the chicken and peppers to make it a one-dish meal (red bell peppers added to the appealing look of this salad.) The salad would be great with fresh bread, for those not watching their calories. Next time I may add some fresh lemon juice to the chicken at cooking time. My bf loved it and said it deserves the 5-star rating. Thanks for a winner!
Fantastic salad with a beautiful balance of cold and warm and still healthy and delicious! This so does NOT taste like diet food. This was very easy and FAST to put together with very few dishes to clean! A plus for me! This recipe made the perfect amount of dressing for me. I do not like my salad drenched but do like it moist. Perfection! The dressing tasted fabulous, the balsamic was really an excellent touch. I sliced my chicken a little thick and next time will probably slice it thinner- easier to do if your chicken is partially frozen. I had fresh chicken breast and no will to wait to freeze it a bit. lol I used dried rosemary bc I was too lazy to go out and get some fresh. I also used evoo for the oil and red pepper which added some amazing color and sweetness. I did add a pinch of salt and some fresh ground pepper, I think I am becoming addicted to fresh pepper! lol This is an amazing salad NcM! Thank you for sharing this great recipe that I know will be made here again! Made for Beverage Tag!