Recipe by kitchendiva
Here's a warm, hearty, easy to prepare soup for those chilly days of winter. If found this recipe in a Senior Spotlight newspaper. I used skim milk and fat free, low sodium chicken broth. The cheese I added for zip! (so much for extra calories, but it was worth it!!)
- 8 ounces cubed cooked ham
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced (about 5)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 3 -4 ounces Velveeta cheese or 3 -4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sautee ham and onions in the butter, until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the mustard, then pour in the chicken broth.
- Add the potatoes, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Add to the potato mixture and heat until warm, but not boiling.
- Add seasonings; serve with warm bread or rolls.
- Combine the milk and cream of celery soup in a small saucepan.
- Add the cheese and melt, stirring frequently.