Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
One word: DELISH!
- 5 1⁄2 cups fresh blackberries, divided use
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, colored part only (zest)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) package shortbread cookies, such as Pepperidge Farm Chessmen, coarsely crumbled (about 2 cups)
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 8 sprigs of fresh mint (optional)
- Combine 4 cups blackberries, orange juice, sugar, orange peel and cinnamon in medium saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer until berries are soft and begin to release juices, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups berry mixture to food processor fitted with metal blade; process until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in remaining blackberries. (Can be made 2 hours in advance. Let stand at room temperature. Warm berry mixture on medium heat until just warm before continuing.).
- Divide cookie crumbs among 8 bowls or wine glasses.
- Add 1 scoop ice cream and spoon warm blackberry sauce over each.
- If desired, garnish with fresh mint.
Made exactly as written. Was sooo good. The family asked for this to become a regular. Thanks for an outstanding recipe.