Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from an old booklet put out by the Walla Walla Gardeners Association. Walla Walla is in SW Washington state, where the sweetest onions outside of Vidalia, GA are grown! (how's that for diplomacy!) Any "sweet" onion will do if you can't get Walla Wallas or Vidalias.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium walla walla onions, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a cookie sheet with shortening or non-stick spray.
- Mix dry ingredients together; cut in shortening.
- Saute onions in butter until translucent. Add to flour mixture with milk. Mix until blended. Form dough into ball.
- Roll out on floured surface about 1/2 inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter or knife and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes.
Made for your Football Pool win, these biscuits are great & the recipe clearly 1 of the most forgiving & twissis-proof recipes on this site. I thot I was making them as written, but saw too late that I hadn't sauteed the onion. I had added them raw to the dough, but they were very finely chopped & still cooked tender in the finished biscuits. Using my pastry brush, I applied a very light coat of butter to the tops & was good-to-go. My yield was 22 2-in biscuits & the crumb was soft & tender - not at all dry or chewy like a lot of baking powder biscuits often are. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us & Congrats on you FP win.
Almost ignored this 'cause at first I just saw the onion biscuits part, but then Walla Walla hit me & of course I had to make them (with the Vidalias, but then. . .)! VERY EASY TO MAKE & GREAT TASTING, TOO: What more could you want! Definitely a keeper, & thanks for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Went to the Market]
Wow!! Talk about flavorful biscuits!!! I cut the recipe to make 4.5 biscuits for the 2 of us. The batter is mainly onions, so you get onions in every bite. It won't be a family favorite, as I am the onion lover here!!! Thanks for sharing Mikekey!!! Made for Gimme 5 Tag.