Caramelized Onion Sourdough Biscuits from KAF
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 2⁄3 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 cup sourdough starter, unfed
- Combine butter, onion and sugar in pan over medum-low heat.
- Cook onion, covered for about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes; they should be nicely caramelized.
- Transfer onions to a bowl to cool to room termperature, then refrigerate until well chilled at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease or line baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Work butter into flour until mixture is unevenly crumbly.
- Toss in chives and caramelized onions.
- Cut in starter until dough becomes cohesive.
- Trun dough out onto a lightly floured surface and use a bench knife or bowl scraper to fold over on itself five or six times, until it comes together.
- Pat into a 1" thick disk.
- Use a sharp 2 1/2" biscuit cutter to cut rounds.
- Pat the scraps together and cut additional biscuits.
- Bake biscuits for 15-18 minutes until they're just turning golden.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
- TIP: Brush biscuits with butter before baking if desired for extra color and flavor. You can brush them again once they come out of the oven for over the top richness.+.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I've made these biscuits and they're great! Only difference was the first time I made them they were too dry as I keep my sourdough starter very thick. Soooo, now when I make them I add enough buttermilk to the mixture to give me the consistency I need. I love these things with my eggs for breakfast.They are so light and fluffy with the combination of the starter AND the baking powder. DAR lady
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"