1/1 Photo of Vino Beef Stew
1 hr 20 mins
This stew was inspired by the 2001 Rosemount GSM (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre) of South Australia that I have been cellaring until ready to drink. Well it's ready to drink!!! I have a bottle to drink with meals and a bottle to enjoy in my take on an easy beef bourguignon sans the bacon or pancetta. This beef stew has root vegetables, mushrooms, leeks, and a bottle of good red wine of your choice to create a wonderful flavor experience. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
large p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs whole beef chuck roast (I used a 1.93 pound roast to be exact)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 leeks (white parts only, cleaned well of sand and sliced into coin sizes)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine (syrah, cabernet sauvignon, etc. etc.)
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 3 turnips, peeled and cubed
- 4 red potatoes, roughly peeled and cubed
- 3 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 (8 ounce) crates fresh baby bella mushrooms, brushed off with a damp paper towel then quartered
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 -8 whole cloves
- 1NOTE: You will need a large dutch oven with a lid.
- 2Slice the beef into 1/2 inch to a little thicker size chunks. (I think the meat stays more tender if it is not cubed up so small).
- 3Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- 4Melt the butter with the oil in a dutch oven on the stove top over medium heat. Place the meat in a single layer in the pot and then season with the salt and pepper. Brown the meat for about 2 or 3 minutes on each side until brown all over and then remove to a plate.
- 5Add the leeks to the juices in the pot and saute until soft. If a lot of brown forms, pour in a little of your wine to deglaze.
- 6Turn down the heat and add the garlic, saute for 1 or 2 minutes then add the rest of your veggies and the rest of the wine.
- 7Stir in your flour with the juices and wine watching to mix well so lumps don't form. Simmer the veggies for about 5 minutes.
- 8Finally, throw in your cinnamon stick, thyme, bay leaves, cloves and add back the meat.
- 9Stir then put the lid on and place in the oven and roast for 1 1/2 hours. Give it a stir and a taste, 30 minutes before taking out of the oven.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vino Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.2
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 82.0 mg
- Sodium 202.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 26.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: