Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This stew was inspired by the 2001 Rosemount GSM (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre) of South Australia that I have been cellaring until ready to drink. Well it's ready to drink!!! I have a bottle to drink with meals and a bottle to enjoy in my take on an easy beef bourguignon sans the bacon or pancetta. This beef stew has root vegetables, mushrooms, leeks, and a bottle of good red wine of your choice to create a wonderful flavor experience. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 lbs whole beef chuck roast (I used a 1.93 pound roast to be exact)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 leeks (white parts only, cleaned well of sand and sliced into coin sizes)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine (syrah, cabernet sauvignon, etc. etc.)
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 3 turnips, peeled and cubed
- 4 red potatoes, roughly peeled and cubed
- 3 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 (8 ounce) crates fresh baby bella mushrooms, brushed off with a damp paper towel then quartered
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 -8 whole cloves
- NOTE: You will need a large dutch oven with a lid.
- Slice the beef into 1/2 inch to a little thicker size chunks. (I think the meat stays more tender if it is not cubed up so small).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a dutch oven on the stove top over medium heat. Place the meat in a single layer in the pot and then season with the salt and pepper. Brown the meat for about 2 or 3 minutes on each side until brown all over and then remove to a plate.
- Add the leeks to the juices in the pot and saute until soft. If a lot of brown forms, pour in a little of your wine to deglaze.
- Turn down the heat and add the garlic, saute for 1 or 2 minutes then add the rest of your veggies and the rest of the wine.
- Stir in your flour with the juices and wine watching to mix well so lumps don't form. Simmer the veggies for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, throw in your cinnamon stick, thyme, bay leaves, cloves and add back the meat.
- Stir then put the lid on and place in the oven and roast for 1 1/2 hours. Give it a stir and a taste, 30 minutes before taking out of the oven.