Recipe by Teresa M
This is a Really Good simple broccoli salad. My middle SIL made this for a Memorial Day cook-out, and everyone asked for the recipe. This is also nice to make when you don't have much time.
Top Review by Merlot
What a great salad! I particularly like the bacon and cheddar cheese combination with the broccoli!!! For the dressing, I used mayo instead of Miracle Whip and cut the sugar down to 1 cup as you mentioned which worked out perfectly for us. The dressing was a perfect compliment for this salad. Thank you so much! :-)
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 bunches broccoli, in bite-size pieces
- 1 lb bacon, fried,drained & coarsely crumbled
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Miracle Whip or 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients.
- Put cheese and dressing on right before serving.
- The easiest way to make the dressing is to mix it in a shaker.
- Personally, I would add less sugar to this, I'd start with 1 c sugar and then add up to 1/2 c more, according to how sweet you like your dressing.
- My mom thought it was fine as is.