Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great condiment to keep in your refrigerator for whenever you get the urge for Indian food. Will keep indefinitely if put up properly. Great for pork or chicken. Use 1 tablespoon for each 1 1/2 pounds of meat.
- 2 tablespoons cayenne powder
- 4 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder (hot)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Combine all except the oil in a bowl and stir to form a paste.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over med-high, add the paste, and reduce to low.
- Stir vigorously for 8 minutes, scraping the bottom to ensure spices do not burn.
- Allow to cool and spoon into sterile jar and cap tightly.
This is delicious, and a change from the usual stew flavors that I'm used to. Add 1 Tbsp to 1 1/2 lbs of meat. I like to cut up the meat (pork usually), toss in some flour, and then brown in oil in a large pot. Add a cut up onion, saute for a couple minutes, then add 1 quart of chicken broth, a couple Tablespoons of this paste, and let it simmer on the stove for 20 minutes, then add 3 cut potatoes, and cook for an additonal 15 minutes. Add 3 Tbsp corn starch in 3 Tbsp cold water, then add this slurry to the pot and stir until thickened. Serve with some cilantro or parsley, and a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream.