Kirstin in the Couv's Note:
This has become one of my favorite sandwiches. Keep in mind that you can alter the quantities of the items on the sandwich any way you want. I usually cook the pork tenderloin immediately before making the sandwiches, but it can be done with leftover pork. Adapted from recipe in "Sunset Magazine".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 ounces ground lean pork
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red chili paste or 2 tablespoons asian red chili sauce
- 12 ounces pork tenderloin, cooked and thinly sliced
- 2 cups English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 cups mesclun
- 1/2 cup fresh Thai basil
- 1/2 cup fried shallots (optional)
- 3 French baguettes, use light baguette with soft interior and thin crisp crust (8 oz ea.)
- 1In an 8- 10 inch sauté pan over medium/high heat, stir five spice until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 2Stir in oil, shallots and garlic.
- 3Add ground pork and stir often until meat is crumbly and no longer pink.
- 4Add soy sauce, sugar and salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- 5Cut baguettes in half crosswise then split almost all the way through, leaving halves attached on one side.
- 6Spread 1 tsp of chile paste on one cut side of each baguette section.
- 7Spoon 1/6 of the warm ground pork mixture (including juices) over the chile paste.
- 8Tuck 1/6 of the pork tenderloin slices evenly into each sandwich.
- 9Place sandwiches on a sheet pan and bake at 375°F for about 5 minutes or until filling is warm and crust is crisp.
- 10Remove from oven and fill each with 1/6 of the cucumbers, mesclun, basil and fried shallots.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Pork Sandwich (Banh Mi Thit)
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 888.8
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 1945.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 121.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 42.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili paste