Recipe by J. Ko
The dressing is what makes this salad! You don't have to adhere to the list of salad ingredients: put in whatever strikes your fancy. I usually grill up extra chicken breasts when we're having grilled chicken and use them to make up the salad for the next day.
Top Review by kelly.sullivan
you can do anything for the salad as long as you have this dressing ! I have used it on rice, shredded cabbage, on Vietnamese noodles...a definite winner.
used Sirachi sauce and sesame oil as substitutes, and used rice wine vinegar instead of white wine vinegar.
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, grilled
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili paste (sambal oelek works well)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vietnamese fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil (1 Tbsp sesame and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil works well also)
- 6 cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaf, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, julienned, plus more leaves for garnish
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small seedless cucumber, julienned
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 small fresh hot red chili peppers (optional) or 1 small hot green chili pepper, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Thinly slice the grilled chicken breast. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together cabbage, mint and cilantro. Place on a large platter. Top cabbage mixture with the onion, peppers, cucumber, carrots, and chicken. Drizzle with reserved dressing, garnish with peanuts and cilantro sprigs, and serve.