This is from Gordon Ramsays Healthy Appetite and hands down my favourite recipe for Pho! Omit the beef if you'd like a vegetarian version, and add bok choi.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g filet of beef
- 1 piece fresh ginger, finely grated (2.5cm)
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 200 g thin rice noodles
- 150 g bean sprouts
- 2 -3 spring onions, finely sliced on diagonal
- coriander leaves (1 small bunch)
- mint, leaves only (or Thai sweet basil, 1 small bunch)
- 1 1/2 liters beef stock
- 1 piece fresh ginger, finely sliced (4cm)
- 4 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cardamom pod, lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- lime wedge
- 1Trim the beef of any sinew then slice as thinly as possible (helps if it's partially frozen). Place in a bowl and add the grated ginger, garlic, some pepper, and the sesame oil. Toss to mix, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 30-40 minutes.
- 2For the broth - pour the stock into a large pan and add the sliced ginger, star anise, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, caster sugar, and fish sauce. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3Add the rice noodles to a large pan of boiling salted water and cook according to packet instructions until tender but still retaining a bite. Drain in a colander and immediately toss with a little sesame oil to prevent them sticking.
- 4Bring the broth to the boil and tip in the beef and bean sprouts, simmer for just 30 seconds then remove from the heat.
- 5Divide the noodles among warm bowls and ladle the hot broth over them, dividing the beef and bean sprouts equally. Scatter over the spring onions, coriander and mint, then serve immediately with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Vietnamese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vietnamese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Beef and Noodle Soup (Pho)
Serving Size: 1 (536 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 609.2
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 87.5 mg
- Sodium 2457.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 30.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet of beef