Recipe by Rita~
This is a Show Stopper and Delish! It's amazing that 9 ingredients can make this! Lots of work but worth it. Can be prepared a couple day ahead. Be sure to use cake flour.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
Definitely a show-stopper. This cake was very easy to make - just make sure to leave time for the chocolate cream to set (I made it in the morning and assembled the cake in the early evening). Being lazy, I used purchased chocolate shavings instead of making my own chocolate curls - still pretty, and stupidly simple, the way I like it. Made this for my dad's 72nd birthday today and we all loved it - especially dad. Thanks ~Rita~ :-)
Chocolate Cream Filling prepared 5 hours earlier
- 340.19 g semisweet chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 473.18 ml whipping cream, scalded
- 28.34 g coffee liqueur or 28.34 g chocolate liqueur
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 118.29 ml cake flour, sifted
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 236.59 ml whipping cream, well chilled
- 44.37 ml powdered sugar
- 170.09 g semisweet chocolate bars, room temperature (or slightly warmer)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chocolate Cream Filling:.
- Slowly pour 1/2 cup of cream through a fine strainer into chocolate, whisking till all the cream is absorbed: continue slowly adding the rest of the cream till all absorbed.
- Refrigerate uncovered until filling is consistency of sour cream about 4 hours. If to thick it does not whip up nicely.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch jelly roll pan lining with parchment paper and butter paper.
- Meanwhile make Cake:.
- Place eggs and sugar in top of a double boiler over simmering water and cook whisking until very warm to the touch 110 degrees.
- Transfer egg mixture to a mixing bowl and beat at high speed until triple the volume and cooled to the touch about 5-7 minutes. Add in vanilla.
- Add the sifted cake flour folding in gentle. Fold in the melted butter.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes till center springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool 5 minutes, invert onto a clean damp towel. Remove pan and paper, cool to room temperature.
- Line a 8 inch round cake pan with wax paper.
- Cut a 8 inch circle from the a corner of the cooled cake and place in to pan.
- Cut 2 strips about 13x 1 1/2 long and place along sides of pan, They should fit in even with the top of the pan. So trim if needed.
- In a chilled bowl beat chocolate cream filling add the liqueur at medium speed until soft and fluffy peaks form, When mixture gets pale that is when its done. So be sure not to over beat! This is quick.
- Spread filling into the pan spread evenly. Cut the remaining cake to fit over the filling will have to piece and trim the cake together to fit. Cover cake air tight and freeze until very firm about 2 hours. You can make a couple day ahead to this point.
- Invert frozen cake onto serving cake dish.
- Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form add sugar and beat till stiff peaks form.
- Spread evenly over top and sides of cake then chill.
- Make large chocolate curls with a vegetable peeler. Arrange them over the top and sides of the cake.
- Return to refrigerator to thaw for about one-two hours.
- Serve after all the oohs and aahs then hear them again as they enjoy it!