Chocolate Cake; Mocha Chocolate Cream; Chocolate Liqueur Icing
Oh so very gooey and good! Found in Southern Living, September 2005. Looks very complicated but it is not - everything is laid out and easy to follow. Cooling time is about 45 minutes - make in order listed - Icing first, Filling next and then Cake.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- pam original nonstick cooking spray
- unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate squares, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- chocolate curls
Mocha-Chocolate Cream Filling
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee, without water
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate squares, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur, Kahlua coffee liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat 3 (8 inch) round cakepans with cooking spray.
- Line bottoms of pan with wax paper; butter wax paper with butter, and set aside.
- Melt chocolate in small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth; set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until just yellow disappears after each addition.
- Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Sift together flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating at low speed until just blended, begining and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
Mocha Chocolate Cream Filling:
- Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon mixture into a small bowl; cover surface of mixture with plastic wrap, pressin wrap onto surface, and let stand 30 minutes or until cool.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add cooled cocoa mixture, 1 Tablespoon at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Add vanilla, beating until mixture is consistency of whipped cream.
- Makes 1-1/2 cups.
Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing:
- Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium heat just until cream begins to boil.
- Pour over chocolate in bowl, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in butter and liqueur.
- Let stand 45 minutes or until spreading consistency.
- Makes 2 cups.
- Prepare Icing, then Mocha-Chocolate Filling and then cake, in this order due to the different cooling times.
Assemble the cake:
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread top with 4 Tablespoons Coffee liqueur Ganache Icing.
- Spread half of Mocha-Chocolate Cream Filling evenly over ganache on cake layer.
- Top with second cake layer; spread top with 4 Tablespoons of Ganache Icing and remaining Cream Ganache Filling.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread remanining Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing on top of cake and sides of cake.
- Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.