Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Its Videlia onion season and I bought 15lbs so I made this Sunday dinner pot roast for my family's onion lovers. It was a wonderful dinner and I'm saving the juices because they taste exactly like onion soup when sopped up on bread. Mmmm. If you don't have genuine Videlias any sweet onion will do.
- Rub the roast on all sides with Kitchen Bouquet and lay it into a heavy roasting pan with a lid.
- Arrange the thyme sprigs on top of the roast and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel the Videlia onions and cut each onion in half lengthwise (If you can use that word for an onion that is generally much wider than it is tall -- I mean to make the cut from top to bottom rather than crosswise into rings).
- Put the onion halves cut side down on top of the roast.
- Cover and roast at 300 for 4-5 hours.
- Serve with a hearty bread to sop the juices.
- A green salad completes the meal nicely.