Recipe by Chef Chet
This recipe uses Victory HopDevil India Pale Ale which is a craft brewery in Downingtown, PA. It contributes to making a complex sweet and tangy sauce that is complimented with a cold Victory HopDevil India Pale Ale when serving.
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 1⁄2 lbs beef short ribs with bones
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 whole bulbs of garlic, peeled
- 1 large diced onion
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 whole oranges, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle pale ale, Victory HopDevil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, bitters, juice and zest from the oranges, dry thyme and Victory HopDevil India Pale Ale, set aside.
- In a large skillet brown the peeled garlic cloves.
- Put in the slow cooker.
- Put flour, salt, smoked paprika and pepper in a bag.
- Add ribs and shake to coat.
- Brown ribs in the same large skillet using the same oil.
- Put in slow cooker and discard all but enough oil to sauté onions in the next step.
- In same skillet, add diced onions and sauté until slightly browned.
- Add liquid mixture to the onions and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Pour over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 hours.