This soup from Vichy, France is usually served cold, but it also a hearty meal served with toasted buttered rye bread and sliced chilled tomatoes on the side.
- Cook the potatoes in salted water to cover until just tender.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and cool the leeks gently, tossing them lightly, for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer the leeks until tender.
- Add the potatoes to the leeks and the broth and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Put this mixture in the blender (you will need to blend it in two lots) and blend for 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Chill. When ready to serve, mix in sour cream or heavy cream. Garnish with chopped chives.
Simple and tasty. This version is quite thick. Next time I will thin it out a bit. I used a stick blender in the pan, much easier. Nutmeg really does make a difference.