Creamy cold potato soup (Vichyssoise)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced
- 5 leeks, cut into small pieces (white part only)
- 1 onion, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 quarts low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- salt and pepper
- Heat butter in dutch oven or heavy deep pan.
- Saute the leeks and onion-cook gently, stirring frequently until golden.
- Add broth and potatoes.
- Boil gently, uncovered for 30-45 minutes.
- Let cool and run through a processor until smooth.
- You may need to do this in two batches.
- Put mixture in large bowl and refrigerate.
- Chill for about 20 minutes.
- When cold stir in cream, chives salt and pepper.
- If too thick add some milk.
- Consistency should be somewhat thinner than pan cake batter.
- Serve cold.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This soup is a gift: must be prepared in advance, super easy, delicious AND elegant! I soaked the diced onions in water for a few minutes to remove the bite. After sautéing thoroughly, I pressure-cooked it till ingredients were very soft, so it would easily blend smoothly. Yes, it is very rich but worth it. Savor every slurp!