2 hrs 30 mins
This is my mother-in-law's recipe, which was adapted and passed down through at least 3 generations. It's so good I could eat it by itself! Everyone who walks through the kitchen while it's simmering is supposed to stir the sauce. This makes a big pot, so freeze some for another great meal some other time! Also makes fantastic lasagne by simply layering the sauce with mozzarella and lasagne noodles, then baking at 350F until done. Also, remember to cook it with love!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 12 (12 ounce) cans water
- 2 onions, diced finely
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning (or a mix of thyme, basil, oregano and sage)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (or 1 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb ground pork)
- 1Combine tomato paste and water in a large pot, stir over medium high heat until tomato paste is dissolved (about 2-3 minutes).
- 2Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a separate skillet over medium high heat(can also add green bell pepper and mushrooms, if desired). Saute until onion is translucent and dump into the pot.
- 3Add the Italian seasoning, cayenne, salt, sugar and pepper. Reduce heat and let simmer 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes (but you can never stir it too much).
- 4Brown the ground beef in a skillet, then add to the pot. Simmer another hour. My mother-in-law likes to add a little extra olive oil sometimes when it is cooking. Also, taste it often and adjust seasonings. If it gets too thick, add more water. If it is too thin, add more tomato paste.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Very Speciale Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.2
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 665.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: