Recipe by Chez Desirée
This is delicious, simple and impressive. I used an inexpensive steak and it still tasted great. Wonderful with a tossed salad or fruit. Feel free to skip the cream cheese and use just goat cheese for a bolder flavour.
- 1 steak
- 4 small pita bread
- 4 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce (I used Classico Basil Pesto)
- 4 tablespoons light cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese
- 10 -12 stalks asparagus
- 3 -4 mushrooms (I used Cafe)
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare steak-.
- Slice small "pockets" in steak against grain and stuff with thin pieces of garlic. Liberally sprinkle salt on top.
- Put on foil covered broiler pan and broil for 3-4 minutes on each side depending on how well you like your steak. Remember that the steak will cook further in the oven as the pizza, so take this additional cooking time into account when you check for doneness.
- For pizzas-.
- Put all 4 pitas on a baking tray. I usually put a little cornmeal on the tray to ensure that they do not stick.
- Spread each pita with a tablespoon of pesto. If you like more feel free to add some.
- Prepare asparagus by snapping off tough ends and washing. Lay in single layer on microwaveable plate. Add a little salt if you wish and cover with plastic wrap. The asparagus should be wet so that it will steam itself in the microwave. Microwave on high for 1 minute and let set with plastic still in tact to continue cooking.
- Next arrange small amounts of cream cheese (or goat cheese if that's all you're using) around the pizza.
- Slice the slightly cooled steak very thinly against the grain, keeping the garlic if it falls out to top on the pizza.
- Arrange the thin pieces of steak on each pizza.
- Top with sliced mushrooms, 1 inch long pieces of cut asparagus, sliced mushrooms and the goat cheese. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle some garlic salt on top.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 8-12 minutes, until pita is slightly crispy. Broil for another minute or so to crisp up top.
- Serve with some balsamic vinegar drizzled on top if you like.