Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made up this recipe for a friend in my cross country running club, inspired by my chicken burrito recipe. We usually have dinner with a few at my place before evening practice. My friend was on a diet that didn't allow fats, bread/tortillas and white rice so I made this recipe with brown rice, lots of vegetables and chicken. It was an instant hit and proved to be a great pre-running meal. I had to share the recipe with all my running pals and now I am ready to share it with y'all!!
- 2 -3 bell peppers (eg red yellow and green)
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chili pepper, deseeded
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup diced tomato (from can)
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 cup corn (from can)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- In food processor, mix bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic, chili pepper, and half the onion to a salsa.
- Cut chicken in course pieces and put in a saucepan with the salsa. Add cube of chicken stock. Simmer for about 40 minutes until chicken is cooked.
- With fork remove chicken pieces from salsa and put onto a plate, set aside to cool. Make sure to keep most salsa in the saucepan, you need about 2 cups, if there is less than 2 cups left in the pan, add water so you have about two cups.
- Chop remaining 1/2 onion finely. In dutch oven, large skillet or wok, heat vegetable oil and add brown rice. Cook for about a minute or 2, add cumin, cayenne pepper and onion and cook until onion is softened. Add the 2 cups of salsa and tomato cubes. Simmer for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- With 2 forks or clean fingers, rip up the cooked chicken into shreds. Add to cooked rice. Add corn, coriander and olives and warm through. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary, to taste.