Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This tomato soup is so easy to make!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 -3 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 65 ounces tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt, as needed
- In a large soup pot, over medium heat, put the butter and let the butter melt. Add the flour and stir for about 1-2 minutes to cook the flour.
- Quickly stir in the sugar, basil, garlic powder, and black pepper. Remove from heat and slowly add the tomato juice (about 6 1/2 cups), stirring nonstop, so that you don't have clumps of flour in your soup. Return the soup to the heat.
- Once the tomato juice has been added, stir frequently until the soup starts boiling. Let it boil for about 2 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Let the soup cool for about 10-15 minutes then stir in the cream. Adjust seasonings if needed and check for salt.
- Good with grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Variations: 1. Use milk instead of cream to reduce the calories--you may need to add extra milk. 2. Add 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes to the soup. I almost add the bouillon cubes, adding it when I add the basil. 3. Add chicken broth instead of dairy to the soup. 4. Add cooked cheese tortellini once the soup is ready to eat.