Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This tomato soup is so easy to make!
Make and share this Very Easy Tomato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 -3 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half
- salt, as needed
- In a largish saucepan, over medium heat, put the butter and let the butter melt. Add the flour and stir for about one minute to cook the flour.
- Slowly add the tomato juice, stirring nonstop, so that you don't have clumps of flour in your soup.
- Once the tomato juice has been added, add the sugar, basil, garlic and black pepper. Stir to blend. Cook the mixture for about 10 minutes to give the flavors time to marry.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the half-and-half (add more or less as desired). Return the saucepan to the heat and add salt to taste. Cook until the soup is hot, but not yet boiling. Serve.
- Good with grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Variations: 1. Use milk instead of half-and-half to reduce the calories--you may need to add extra milk. 2. Add a chicken bouillon cube to the soup. 3. Add chicken broth instead of dairy to the soup. 4. Add cooked cheese tortellini once the soup is done.