Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a perfect way to use up those shank bones that are usually thrown out.
Make and share this Venison Soup Stock recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs venison, meat and bones
- 1⁄4 cup bacon fat
- 15 cups water
- 2 stalks celery, including leaves
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 10 peppercorns, crushed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt (may need more, to taste)
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- Cut meat from bones.
- Melt bacon fat in a heavy fry pan and brown meat on all sides.
- Place browned meat and bones in large pot and cover with water.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover, bring to a boil on top of stove, then reduce heat and simmer 3 to 4 hours.
- Strain, cool and remove the fat that has collected on surface.
- Strain again if necessary.
- Pour in airtight containers, store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Can be frozen.
Although my husband has hunting for years, I never thought to make stock from the deer he brought home. But now I will make it a habit. This recipe was great.