Recipe by Felix4067
I got this recipe the last time I was on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and tweaked it some to match our taste. The beans are optional, but if you leave them out you should add another pound of ground venison to the mix.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs ground venison
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (1 ounce) packages chili seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 (18 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 (1 g) packet sugar substitute
- 2 (7 ounce) cans mushrooms
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat bottom of a large Dutch oven with cooking spray (I use garlic flavour).
- Add oil, heat over medium heat.
- Brown together venison, onion, and garlic until venison is completely browned and onions are translucent.
- Stir in chili seasoning.
- Add steak sauce and next 5 ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and rest of ingredients.
- Continue simmering at least one more hour, until done, stirring occasionally.
- For thicker chili, remove cover for last half hour of cooking.