Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
And did I mention that it’s chocolaty too? A healthy and delicious cupcake that’s packed with superfoods - raspberries and beets. This is a Chatelaine recipe. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup raspberries, frozen
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 200 ml beets, rinsed, drained, patted dry (half of a 398 ml can)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 125 g light cream cheese, cubed (half of a 250-g block)
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- Measure out raspberries and leave on counter. Preheat oven to 350°F Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cups or spray with oil.
- Stir flour with cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Puree beets in a blender or food processor. Beat sugar with oil in a medium-sized bowl, using an electric mixer, until combined, 2 minute Beat in egg, then beets and vanilla. Gradually beat in one-third of flour mixture just until blended, then half of buttermilk. Repeat additions, ending with flour mixture. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake in centre of oven until a cake tester inserted in cupcakes comes out clean, 20 to 25 minute Cool in pan on a rack for 15 min, then remove cakes to a rack to cool completely before icing.
- PUSH raspberries through a sieve into a bowl, using the bottom of a ladle. Discard seeds. Stir in cream cheese and icing sugar until evenly mixed. Spread over cooled cupcakes.